The Commissioner for Equal Opportunity was asked by Parliament in late 2020 to conduct a review into harassment in the parliamentary workplace.
The report was provided to Parliament on 26 February 2021.
The report makes 16 recommendations aimed at supporting the development of a safe and inclusive workplace.
The review considered the existing regulatory framework, organisational structure, policies and procedures that apply to Members of Parliament and staff in the parliamentary workplace, as well as best practice in responding to and preventing workplace harassment.
The experiences and views of those working in the parliamentary workplace were vital to this review.
Members of Parliament and staff were invited to contribute by:
- participating in an anonymous survey (PDF, 259.2 KB)
- making written submissions
- speaking with the Acting Commissioner.
Support services for participants
If you took part in the review and are experiencing distress or work in the parliamentary workplace and the content of the final report has triggered difficult memories for you, we encourage you to seek support.
Counsellors are available through the following services:
- Lifeline - 131 114 (24 hours, personal crisis service)
- 1800Respect - 1800 737 732 (sexual violence service)
- Yarrow Place - 1800 817 421 (rape and sexual assault service)
- MensLine Australia - 1300 789 978 (men's service)
- QLife - 1800 184 527 (LGBTQI service)
- BeyondBlue - 1300 224 636 (depression, anxiety and suicide prevention service)
- your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) -
- Legislative Council employees - ACCESS Programs 1300 66 77 00
- House of Assembly employees - ACCESS Programs 1300 66 77 00
- Joint Parliamentary Services employees - ACCESS Programs 1300 66 77 00
- Electorate Office staff and trainees (other than casual relief staff) - Converge International 1300 687 327 and Corporate Health Group 1800 870 147
- Parliamentary Counsel employees - Converge International 1300 687 327
- Protective Security Officers - refer to your intranet for details.
- Recommendations to address harassment in parliamentary workplace - 2 March 2021
- Review into SA Parliament workplace harassment finalised - 26 February 2021